Friday 27 September 2013

Experimental Microdrama




If I had more time I would have re-shot some of the scenes for example when I had the reflection of a person and also when I had shakiness from the camera. And now I have experimented with the editing software I now understand how I could improve and edit my work further by adding new effects and sounds. Some of the scenes could be shortened so there is not a jolty start or ending. I would have also reshot the Ipad scene as all you can see is a reflection of my face which we were not aware of at the time until we came to edit it. I however did point this out that this could be a problem when shooing but we went ahead with it anyway.

Overall I am happy with my performance and I enjoyed using the software and experimenting with all the effects and trying out things even if they didn't work or didn't look right. I liked also working with people I wouldn't normally work with and using the camera to film.


In our microdrama we used narrative theories such as:




Propps Theory of Recurring Character Types:


From this we used his ideas of a villian/antagonist who struggles against the hero (villian - poppy potts) We also had the hero/protagonist who reacts to the donor and wins the prize back (hero - conal walsh) (prize amber pianforini) The donor was also played by myself. The donor prepares the hero or gives the hero some magical object in our case the Ipad App. We also had a false hero who was played by (sarah de baisio) who tries to take credit for the heros actions or tries to marry off the princess. In our case we used the false hero to take credit as she pointed him to the direction of where the victim of the kidnap took place. 

Todorovs Theory of Equlibrium: 



  1. balance in the beginning - happy couple everythings happy 
  2. disruption of balance - kidnap 
  3. recognition of disruption - realisation of victim missing 
  4. attempt to repair the disruption - searching for the victim 
  5. reinstatement of balance - victim is found 

Levi-Strauss Theory of Binary Opposites and Dramatic Conflict: 


We tried to create binary opposites by doing stereotypical evil villain with black cloak and hat to hide the face we also did a stereotypical couple with a male and female. We also did this in other ways like the villain being more dominant than the victim or being more submissive and the obvious good hero and evil villain.


Roland Barthes Theory of Narrative Enigma: 


We tried to use this by creating tension whilst watching as to who kidnapped the victim and to also provide tension as to where the victim was being kept hostage too.



We tried to use a range of shots such as:



  • extreme close up 
  • two shot 
  • close up 
  • over the shoulder shot 
  • medium close up 
  • medium shot 
  • long shot 
  • low angle 
  • extreme long shot


No comments:

Post a Comment